Friday, April 26, 2013

Early Morning

Soft light breaks over the horizon, quiet, alone with my thoughts, I begin to write.

Some people work in the evening. I used to do that. All night ragers that ended in the morning. What began as something that felt like being shot out of a cannon from indulging in less than healthy activities slowly faded into a snail's crawl. Guilt would surely follow. But hey, I wrote a fucking shitload!
You will come back down

I was kidding myself. Re-reading the words I wrote during those times were good, but functional. They were not grand. Because I was not completely lucid. I was flying high, thinking whatever I wrote was unbelievable.     Instead, I was producing with only half-a-mind, unable to weigh my writing decisions accurately. Later when I had come down, I would have to re-write.

The morning is when I write now, and I produce more quality work. I'm not strung out because I got a good night's rest. I'm not manic, as I am actually a little sleepy when I begin. I'm relaxed because I'm still in the limbo between dream state and being awake. I feel much more connected to my thoughts and my words in the morning.

As well, writing first thing in the morning, even if it is only for thirty minutes before I shower, dress and go to work, starts off the day well. I may have a shit day at work, but it's still good and productive because I wrote. No matter what happens, I still have a piece of mind. For others, their piece of mind is different. They may value talking with a friend, eating healthily, exercising their body. I get satisfaction from knowing I am reaching my goal. No matter how slowly I crawl to it. A step forward is still a step forward.

Slow, but she's still going somewhere

When do you write? Do you have a schedule, or are you more of a poet, writing at whim when the fancy strikes you? Does using drugs come into play? 

No comments: