Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why Write?

‘An Irishman is nothing without his imagination.’ – George Bernard Shaw

Imagination is what allows me to breathe! When I feel stifled by demands of life – must work tomorrow, must shop for food, must pay the bills past due, must do this, must do that – I escape by climbing up the stairs to my world, my imagination, where anything goes; I can play. Imagination is my personality.

That is why I write. It’s like a vacation for me from the demands of life. I imagine, and want to capture it. Even though Rejection has beaten me in the face, I still write, still imagine. I even tried to quit writing! But imagination pulls me back…

Why do you write?
What motivates you to keep at it?
Do you think you will ever stop?

2 comments:

DT said...

I feel as if it is a quest to take some internal truth or idea and then communicate it in such a way that the recipient 'gets' what you mean. A mixture of decryption and expression.

A. A. Aaronson said...

I like your last sentence. It certainly is like a decryption, but of an expression. This brings about the idea of vagueness in a story. If I try to hammer my idea into the reader's head with an abundance of detail so it bogs down the imagination of the reader, they are lost, and possibly stop reading. If there is an appropriate amount of detail to ignite a reader's imagination, then it will keep them reading. Not an easy thing to do...